Avneet Basi, a former FIT graduate who lives in New York City, launched Kyrsos + Chandi in 2013. Inspired by Eastern and Western sensibilities as well as ancient and modern aesthetics, her distinct collection seamlessly blends classic and contemporary styles.
Five Fast Facts about Avneet Basi of Krysos + Chandi
1. Running your own business is hard. The biggest lessons I’ve learned in my first year came from making mistakes. There's a saying I saw online that I really love: “Fall down seven times and stand up eight.” Nothing is easy and things are bound to veer off-course. It’s how you react and handle the unexpected that really makes you stronger.
2. I’m really inspired by the dichotomy between ancient and modern and Eastern and Western. The Ila ring, for example, fuses the circle and square into one seamless piece of metal that is really modern and simple.
3. Khrysos and Chandi literally means gold and silver: Khrysos was the Greek god of gold and chandi means silver in Hindi. The logo is actually the two alchemy symbols for gold and silver combined. I've always loved ancient Greek and Indian jewelry.
4. I love evil eye iconography and the Mati ring is really unique in its design. This piece makes a statement, but it's whisper thin and delicate enough to wear everyday. During mitten season just string it on a cord or chain and boom, it doubles as a pendant.
5. A lot of jewelry can look the same. I'm all about bringing a freshness to such a saturated market. Expect my future pieces to play with concepts and silhouettes you haven't seen before.