All it took was hearing her since once for Carly Russ' boyfriend, already a musician, to suggest they start a band together. While she was initially hesitant, you can still find them making music together two years later as the duo girlyboi. We talked to the musician (and model) about what inspires her style, how she spends her free time, and the 10 things she can't live without.
What's the inspiration behind your music?
Challenging specific gender roles and being extremely open and honest about everything we struggle with every day. Being a modern day couple is hard these days, and very rare. We like to bring that honesty into our music.
How do you think being a musician has evolved your personal style?
I think for a while there was this expectation I had for myself that I had to dress in this specific "rock n' roll" vibe to really embody my music. But my style is different every day. I kind of shift between girly one day to grungy another to boyish the next.
Right now I'm really obsessed with fishnet tights and how French women dress. Last year I was wearing oversized t-shirts every day, so my style is ever evolving.
When you're not modeling or making music, how do you typically spend your time?
I'm usually reading at a cafe, or thrifting for my online vintage shop. Thrifting is my favorite past-time.
If there were no limitations on where you could travel, where would you want to go next?
Iceland. I feel like I'm being called there. Or Alaska. It's on my bucket list to see the Northern Lights before I kick the can.
Carly's Top 10:
- Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentrate - I use this on my face as a base before my makeup every single day. It's my favorite face lotion.
- A good book - Currently The Winter People.
- Joico Hair Shake Finishing Texturizer - I do not leave the house without this stuff. It's the perfect grit.
- Aztec Secret Health Indian Healing Clay Mask - I do this twice a week.
- Cocovit Coconut Oil - I put this on everything.
- Soap & Glory Supercat Skinny Eyeliner - This is the best eyeliner I've ever come across. I'm never without it.
- Prtty Peaushun Skin Tight Body Lotion - I cannot leave the house without this stuff. It makes your skin so shiny and luxe.
- Kadhja Bonet's The Visitor - Currently listening on repeat, she's my girl crush.
- Reformation Plush Slim V-Neck Tee - Embarrassingly enough I wear this with everything. And almost every day.
- doTerra Lavender Essential Oil - Here's a little secret. This combined with coconut oil will remove red spots overnight.