Blogging may seem like a saturated market now, but like anything, it took those initial trendsetters to pave the way.
Meet Tatiana Gabrielle. From her humble start as an emerging fashion blogger to her most recent foray into the beauty industry, one thing's for certain --- any topic she tackles will be delivered with the same fresh perspective and complete fearlessness that made her blog so approachable in the first place.
What first motivated you to start a blog?
My very first blog was just a hobby. I had no plans of turning it into a career. I just noticed a lack of black girls blogging at the time. I wanted to display my idea of style and have fun!
You've been a blogger for some time now. What's your advice for anyone interested in blogging for themselves?
It can either be a hobby or a career. It's all up to you, and you don't have to decide right away which path you're going to take. Just make sure you're being yourself. We always see trends come and go in the digital creative world. Just try to stay focused on what you love.
You're one half of the blog, 7 In the Evening. How did you first get into skincare?
I first got into skincare as early as high school. I had horrible hormonal acnes all over my face and body. When I turned 19, I became very interested in healing my acnes as naturally as possible. Yet at the same time, I started to learn about acids and chemical peels. That's when I discovered how interesting skincare is to me personally. Skincare allows me to explore my love for both beauty and science.
What's one thing most people don't know about blogging, and what does it take to run a successful blog?
One thing most people don't know is how much time goes into running a blog. The internet does not sleep. If it's a hobby, you don't have to be as involved. However; if you have goals set for your online presence you have to work around the clock. At the very least, you're always working on self-improvement.
In order to run a successful blog, I believe you have to have a clear idea of where you want to be in the future. The moment you have a goal you can start making moves in the direction you plan to be. Before 7E had any social media, I made sure both "M" and I were on the same page. We mapped out every single part of our plan. We were also honest with each other on what we needed to improve on. We're always learning and practicing our craft. I believe anyone can have success in blogging if they truly want it.
What's your favorite way to spend your free time?
Lately, I've been painting and studying philosophy again. I have a piece in mind I would love to complete by the end of summer. Apart from that, I love spending a day in any gallery or museum I can find around the city.
Tatiana's Top 10:
- Podcasts - Starting off as nerdy as possible. My favorites are by the Stuff You Should Know guys.
- Public Supply's stationary - This paper is a poet's dream.
- AFI: Eddie Picnic's All Wet (Original) - A good solid 1990's punk record.
- Maison Margiela Replica's Jazz Club - I don't think I'll ever find a scent more me than this.
- My Canon 7D Mark II - It's one of my main tools I use to get stuff done with.
- Pickle + King - My best friend's cats whose are now my niece and nephew. I love how weird they can be.
- Astrology + philosophy literary works - I'll forever be curious about how other humans view our world.
- Sweet Almond Oil - It keeps your hair and skin soft, removes makeup, grows your lashes, and doesn't clog your pores.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald - Anyone who knows me has heard me talk about my love for his work at least once.
- Sundays - The best day.